Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
|Course:||CIB pdf brewer|
|Book:||Frequently asked questions (FAQ)|
|Printed by:||Guest user|
|Date:||Tuesday, 28 March 2023, 1:17 AM|
Table of contents
- 1. Is it possible to run CIB pdf brewer 2 and 3 simultaneously?
- 2. Is there a Windows Installer (MSI) version
- 3. Documents stay in the print queue. What can I do?
- 4. Is there an API (interface)?
- 5. How can I create a ZUGFeRD or XRechnung invoice?
- 6. Which operating systems are supported by CIB pdf brewer?
- 7. How can I get the latest updates?
- 8. What are the differences between CIB pdf brewer 2 and 3?
- 9. Does my CIB pdf brewer 2 licence work with CIB pdf brewer 3?
- 10. My licence key is not accepted or I lost it. What can I do?
- 11. How do I create a log file?
- 12. How do I create a log file for the installation?
- 13. How can I create PDFs with embedded fonts?
- 14. Message "invalid content was found" when validating XRechnung. What can I do?
- 15. What is the context menu and which entries are available?
- 16. How can I skip the profile-selection window?
- 17. How can I use the stationary function?
- 18. How can I cancel my subscription?
1. Is it possible to run CIB pdf brewer 2 and 3 simultaneously?
You can install CIB pdf brewer 3 and CIB pdf brewer 2 in parallel on your system.
Please note that CIB pdf brewer 3 will be displayed in your system as "CIB pdf brewer 3" if you have already installed CIB pdf brewer 2.
The CIB pdf brewer 2 will then continue to appear as "CIB pdf brewer" in your system.
2. Is there a Windows Installer (MSI) version
Currently there is no Windows Installer (MSI) available for the CIB pdf brewer. Please use the .exe setup.
3. Documents stay in the print queue. What can I do?
If documents get stuck in the print queue, or if the print queue is not available, it may help to stop and restart the print queue. Now enter the following in the opened command line: “C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop spooler” The printer queue is terminated. Now we start it again with: "C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start spooler"
To do this, enter "cmd" in your Windows search field and right-click on the "Command Prompt" search result. Select "Run as administrator".
Now enter the following in the opened command line:
“C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop spooler”
The printer queue is terminated. Now we start it again with:
"C:\WINDOWS\system32>net start spooler"
5. How can I create a ZUGFeRD or XRechnung invoice?How you can create electronic invoices with the CIB pdf brewer is explained in chapter Create electronic invoices using CIB pdf brewer 3.
6. Which operating systems are supported by CIB pdf brewer?The CIB pdf brewer is currently available for Microsoft Windows in the 64-bit version.
7. How can I get the latest updates?
The CIB pdf brewer receives regular updates. Please always use the latest version.
You can obtain the latest version of the CIB pdf brewer by updating via the user interface:
- Navigate to "Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on "CIB pdf brewer (3)" and select "Print settings".
- Now click on the gear wheel button.
- In the new window, under "Update", click on "Search for updates now" and then install them.
Alternatively you can download the setup of the latest version on our homepage: https://pdfbrewer.cib.de/#en
8. What are the differences between CIB pdf brewer 2 and 3?
The CIB pdf brewer 3 is a stand-alone PDF All-in-One solution which, in addition to many new features, also contains the entire range of functions of the CIB pdf brewer 2.
Among the innovations are:
A completely revised user interface creates clarity and focuses on functions. The user quickly finds his way around and long training periods are avoided.
E-invoices DSGVO compliant: The "brewer" supports numerous DSGVO compliant invoice formats. These include ZUGFeRD 2.1 and XRechnung, which are mandatory for invoicing to German authorities.
Security thanks to encryption: Support for PDF 2.0. The improved encryption mechanism can be used for even greater protection of documents.
PDF compression: The CIB fluXkomprimator is now part of the CIB pdf brewer and significantly reduces the size of PDF files. The quality is almost maintained and the readability of the documents is guaranteed at all times. This reduces archiving costs and avoids media discontinuity when sending digital documents.
Personalization: Thanks to its high integration capability, our brewer is more interesting than ever for companies. With the help of an interface, all functions of the CIB pdf brewer can be made available in other applications.
The CIB pdf brewer is free of charge: In the free version, brewer contains all the functions that can be selected from the user interface in full. Only e-invoices are provided with a demo imprint. Even in the freeware version, there is no limit for the creation of documents.
Another plus: The CIB pdf brewer still gets by without any advertising or adware!
9. Does my CIB pdf brewer 2 licence work with CIB pdf brewer 3?
A license for the CIB pdf brewer 2 does not work with the CIB pdf brewer 3. This is because the CIB pdf brewer 3 is an independent solution which is distributed with an alternative license model.
10. My licence key is not accepted or I lost it. What can I do?
If your license was not accepted after you entered it, please check the following in detail:
- Did you perhaps enter a space after "licensee"?
- Did you possibly set a character in the key incorrectly?
- Please check that you enter your license key in the correct CIB solution - licenses for CIB pdf brewer 2 only work with CIB pdf brewer 2, licenses for CIB pdf brewer 3 Business only with CIB pdf brewer 3 Business.
If you are sure that you have inserted the license data correctly and it is still not recognized, please contact our support team at email@example.com. We will be happy to assist you.
11. How do I create a log file?
- In the Windows File Exlorer, right-click on any file
- Select "Convert with CIB pdf brewer" and then "General Settings"
- Now click on "Extensions" in the menu and enable the log traces. Click on "View Traces" to open the path where the traces are located. Per default, the path to store is: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\CIB software GmbH\CIB pdf brewer\Logs
12. How do I create a log file for the installation?
There is a different log file for the installation than for the usage the CIB pdf brewer.
To obtain this, the setup of the CIB pdf brewer must be executed via Windows command prompt (CMD). Furthermore, the additional command /log="filename.txt" must be entered:
If no path is specified for the log file, it will be written to C:\Users\<USER>.
13. How can I create PDFs with embedded fonts?
Embedding fonts ensures that the fonts originally selected in the Document Editor are also used on computers for viewing and printing the PDF document on which these fonts are not installed. This also increases the size of the PDF document.
Fonts can be embedded as follows:
- Navigate to: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers
- Right-click on "CIB pdf brewer (3)" and select "Printer settings"
- Click now on the pen button while having selected the profile in which you want to embed the fonts
- Click on PDF >> Fonts
- Select the desired option of font embedding and confirm the settings with the Save Button.
14. Message "invalid content was found" when validating XRechnung. What can I do?
When validating a XRechnung, there might appear the following message:
This message can be removed when you mark the delivery date in your document with the color code 150,0,150.
There might appear other messages afterwards with presice hints.
15. What is the context menu and which entries are available?
A context menu is provided with CIB pdf brewer 3, which can be accessed in Windows via right-clicking on a document.
The context menu provides quick access to the following options:
Convert to PDF
Opens a window to convert a document directly. Other formats can also be selected here as the output file. This entry is always displayed if the input file can be processed (PDF, RTF, etc.).
Convert to PDF/A (PDF/A-3b)
Converts the file directly to PDF/A-3b and places it in the location of the source file as <filename>.pdfa3.pdf.
Opens a window that allows you to enter the key or the user or owner password directly. This option is only available for PDF files.
Opens a window to decrypt a document. The password is expected as input. This option is only available for PDF files.
Opens a window to set compression. This option is only available for PDF files.
Merge & Split
A window will open where you can directly add documents or split the document. This option is only available for PDF files.
Opens a window to convert a document directly. Other formats can also be selected here as the output file.
This entry is displayed whenever the input file can be processed (PDF, RTF, etc.).
The following two entries have their own entry in the context menu - the upper ones are combined in one context menu.
Share with doXisafe cloud
Opens a window that stores the document under doxisafe.me. As long as one has an account and is logged in, the documents can be stored in the personal area and accessed via the doXisafe app.
Send as letter (CIB fairBrief)
Submits the document to the fairBrief client. If an account is available, PDF documents can be mailed through various print lines. More information can be provided to them by the sales department.
Open with > CIB doXiview (web)
Furthermore, a switch is available which controls whether the entry "Open with... > CIB doXiview (web)" should be available.
Here CIB doXiview is opened directly, but only if a corresponding instance is available.
Note: The CIB pdf brewer can be installed without the context menu (or only with selected entries) as well as without the CIB doXiview opener. For more information see chapter Setup.
16. How can I skip the profile-selection window?
When creating a document with CIB pdf brewer via print menu of an application, there is always appearing the window for profile selection.
You can skip this window by doing the following:
- In your application, click on Print >> Print settings
- The CIB pdf brewer settings window opens
- Select a profile or create one. Please find here how to create profiles
- Tick the Checkbox "Always use this profile". This option skips the profile selection window when printing.
17. How can I use the stationary function?
With the CIB pdf brewer you can deposit a stationery in the background or foreground of the PDF to be generated.
For example, you can create PDFs directly from Word and store information or corporate identity of your company.
You can do this as follows:
1. navigate to the print menu of the CIB pdf brewer.
2. select the desired profile and then click on the pencil button "Edit profile".
3. now click on Stationery in the profile menu, under PDF.
4. Please make sure that the stationery is actively selected. You can see this by the red border around the preview image.
5. There are several options available for including a stationery:
The first page of the stationery is applied to all pages of the document to be created:
The first side of the stationery is placed on the first page of the document to be created. The second side of the letterhead is applied to all the following pages of the document to be created:
The first side of the letter paper is applied to the first side of the document to be generated, the second side of the stationery is applied to the second side of the document to be generated:
Only the first page of the stationery is placed on the first page of the document to be created:
18. How can I cancel my subscription?
You have the possibility to manage all your orders via CIB cash. There you also have the possibility to cancel your license.
To do this, log into the CIB cash portal https://cash.cib.de/#/start/loesungsportal and navigate to your profile in the top right corner.
You can then go to "Subscription and billing" to display all your current CIB pdf brewer licenses.
Here you have the option "Cancel subscription" for the corresponding licenses.
If you select this option, the license agreement is automatically terminated and the status is displayed as such.